Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 179 (4/17): Neglected but not forgotten

Yes I've neglected my blog like Charlie Sheen has neglected numerous women and dogs, like the hair on my legs during the winter months, like the lint and spare change under my couch cushions, like...   I could go on but I won't. I just got out of the habit of writing (and shaving). I would like to say that I've done these grandiose things and haven't been able to write but that is not the case. I have taken pictures and thought about the things that I would blog about but it just didn't happen. So for the next few weeks, you will have to bear with me as I play catch-up and show you some of the things that we have been up to.

Last week I went to Chicago to the Higher Learning Commision conference.  I was excited yet very nervous because I had to ride on a small plane from Manhattan to Chicago.  Planes and I just don't mix.  I remember the last time I went to Chicago, I was sick the entire way and then sick until the plane ride home so I was especially nervous thinking about the last trip.

But I made it and I was so glad I was healthy the entire trip!  The meetings were a bore but Chicago was wonderful.  The buildings were gorgeous and Chicago was surprisingly clean.














Look at the sidewalks.  They have these wonderful flower gardens full of tulips, pansies and other shrubbery.  It gave the big city life a homey feel.  I asked one shop owner how much tax was and he stated 9.77%.  Manhattan is at 9.55% so not that much difference for such a beautiful upkeep.

This parking garage reminded me of my kids Hot Wheels garage. The cars were also right on the edge. No damage done to matchbox cars when the get too close to the edge but I know my driving skills. I would have to use public transportation and not risk a perilous death driving off a parking garage.




One building that I first noticed when riding in the crazy cab driver from the airport was this round one below that had the parking on the bottom floors. I knew that I would have to pick another building to live in if I was there.  Notice how they are backed into the stalls almost to the edge. It was a couple block walk from my hotel but I had to check it out and there was a steel line that the cars could back up to but definitely not a place for kids (or me).


I did also walk around Chicago's Vietnam memorial.  It was by the river and very surreal.  You had the sounds of the water from the river and then the plaque under where it says Chicago Remembers had flowing water that fed into a sidewalk that you walked over.  I, of course, had to find a bathroom after listening to all of that running water.
The building on the left is the Trump building.  It was humongous. For a low rate of $410 you could stay in the middle section hotel area of the building.  The upper half of the building is reserved for residential dwellings.  I had to find out how much it would cost to own some of that real estate.  You could have a 3 bedroom for $3.5 million or a 2 bedroom for about $2 million. 
The building with the clock tower on the right was one that really captured my eye.  I took tons of pictures of that building from a variety of angles.  It is the Wrigley Building, as in Wrigley chewing gum.  There were several movies filmed at or near the building - The Fugitive and Transformers 3 just to name a few.  It is an iconic building and full of fascinating history and architecture.

This last picture is for Mark since I'm sure that is the architecture that he would enjoy - the Blackhawk hockey team girls.  Men were falling all over these girls getting their pictures taken with them with these big cheesy grins.  I think they must rank up there with Hooters girls but I'm not an expert in that so you would need to ask a guy.





No comments:

Post a Comment