Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 209 (10/7): Tailgate Goodies

It costs approximately $500 to be a part of a traveling baseball team to pay for the tournaments, uniform and equipment.  So starting in the Fall we start raising money.  The most time consuming and back breaking...literally...is putting the chairbacks in the KSU stadium.  And then in December we get to take them all back out again. My thighs, quads, back and other muscles or lack there of hurt for 3 days after we put them in.  It was torture and after I thought about it for a while..oh like 2 seconds..I think it would be easier to just pay the money for that fundraiser rather than put the chairs in.

So in a few weeks we are having a bake sale and I wanted to try out some new recipes by bringing them to the tailgate tomorrow.  GO CATS! 

Brownie Covered Oreos

Ingredients:
Package of Oreos - I used the halloween orange ones
Brownie Mix (9 x 13 pan size)
Ingredients to make brownies - usually eggs, oil and water
Cooking Spray

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix up the brownies according to the directions.  I added the extra egg to make the cake like brownies.
  3. Spray a muffin tin generously with Pam or other cooking spray.
  4. Take your oreos and dunk them in the brownie batter.  I found that using a fork was less messy than a spoon.
  5. Put a brownie covered oreo in each muffin tin.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes.
  7. Take a knife and run around the edges of the brownie oreo in order to loosen it from the sides.  This is important  - you cannot skip this step or they will separate in the middle.  I had to taste this one!  :)
The oreos turn into a cakey goodness.  I decorated mine with an icing pen and tried to make KSU, football laces, wildcat paws.  The icing pen was too runny and the KSU looked like a blob so I ended up just drizzling them.  Now if only I could get OREO to make some purple oreos these would be perfect for tailgating.

Fall Snack Mix
Ingredients
12 c. popped popcorn
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 c. cinnaomon chips
1 c. toffee bits
1 c. whole nuts - I used almonds and cashews because that's what I had on hand.
1 c. dried apple chips

Directions
  1. Place the brown sugar, light corn syrup, salt and butter in a microwave safe bowl.
  2. Microwave for about a minute or until the butter is melted.  Stir together until well mixed
  3. Return to microwave and cook for 2 minutes.  Stir and then cook for an additional 1 minute.
  4. Add the baking soda and vanilla to the caramel.  Stir until well mixed.
  5. Place your popped popcorn in a bowl and drizzle the caramel over  the popcorn. 
  6. Add the apples and nuts.  Mix the caramel into the popcorn mixture.
  7. Add the cinnamon chips and toffee bits.  Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
This was different and good.  I added the cinnamon chips too early and they seemed to melt but it was still good.  I think it will be cute in some see-through bags tied with a pretty ribbon for the bake sale.  I also made my own apple chips.  When I went to the store they only had that brand that was chewy and thick.  I thought these apple chips needed to be crispy. 

Apple Chips

Core a couple of apples.  I lined a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice your apples thin!  You can use a mandolin but I was too lazy to get mine out but I realize it would have made it easier to keep them similar in size.  Lay your apples on the parchment paper.  Spray with canola spray or cooking spray.  I made a cinnamon/sugar mixture and sprinkled on the apples.  Bake in a 200 degree oven for about 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment