Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 149 (9/25): Krazy Kansas Weather

There's a saying in Kansas that goes something like this..."If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes." Today we saw some of the craziest clouds and weather I have ever witnessed.  We had a busy day planned for us with Colton playing a football game in Topeka at 8:30 am and then a KSU game back in Manhattan at 11:30.  My outfits for these 8:30 am football games have been mixed up for the weather that has happened on those days.  The first game I thought I would be hot and wore shorts and a t-shirt when in reality I needed a jacket and jeans.  I wore the jacket and jeans to the next game and just about sweated to death.  So for this third game I compromised - capri pants and a t-shirt with a sweatshirt.  I left the house around 5:30 to make a Dillons run for snacks and lunchmeat since I knew we would be racing back to the KSU game and would need to eat in the vehicle.  The weather was perfect for jeans and a t-shirt.  So I thought my plan would work with capris, t-shirt and backup sweatshirt. 

We made it to Topeka with the sun blaring and buckled down for four eight minute quarters of little league football.  After the hour warmup the game was underway.  I had taken off my sweatshirt because the sun was in full force.  Thirty minutes later the clouds covered the sun and the wind started blowing a chilly breeze.  I needed the sweatshirt and I really needed jeans but I was tough....tough enough to withstand 4 overtimes (see future blog).  We were going to be extremely late to the KSU game.  We headed back to Manhattan and listened to the radio as severe thunderstorm warnings and the skies started to darken.

Just as we were walking through the parking lot to the game, we heard the announcer say that there would be a 30 minute delay of game due to the lightning. We strolled back to the car to wait it out. 
This was our view from the truck as we waited out the storm.  It poured like crazy and then the game started back up again. We were in the truck for over an hour parked snuggly under an acorn tree so it sounded like we were getting hailed on as the acorns pinged the truck. The boys did surprisingly well. Thank goodness they had their nintendos to entertain them.
The rain died out and we were allowed back in the stadium and the game resumed. The sun came out again and we probably all smelled like musty rats but it did dry us off.  The wind fizzled out as the flags lay limp and we wished for the clouds to be back since it was a little too much sun.
The clouds played tricks on us and filtered in again but they did not look as scary as the first ones.  We were prepared with ponchos and ready for another blast of rain but it held off.
On this day we went through temperature changes by as much as 30 degrees and got torrential rains and breezeless calm.  So I wonder what the next 5 minutes of Kansas weather will bring?

Below you will see some pics that some of my friends photos as they witnessed the game as the storm came through.  We were still in the car but they had quite a show!

Check out the video that someone posted as the storm moved in:

No comments:

Post a Comment