Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 201 (9/16): Apple Craisin Mini Muffins

There was a competion at work for the person that had the most spirit.  I decided that I would umm....sway a few votes and bake some muffins for the meeting.  I knew I was going to use the cinnabon muffins but after hearing there would be 23 people there I was going to be a little short.  So I scoured the internet for a new recipe.  Plus I can add that to my 101 in 1001 days list. I refused to buy anything new and I knew I had some apples in the fridge so that was my start.  I adapted a recipe of Paula Deen's and they were delicious!  Moist and seemingly healthy with the apple and leftover craisins from my cherry infused craisin kick I went on around Christmas.  But I doubt they were that healthy...Paula Deen likes butter.  I will definitely make these again because they were so adaptable.  The original recipe called for raisins and walnuts but I think you could add just about whatever you had on hand and they would still be very moist.  My coworkers gobbled them down and said they were even better than the cinnabon muffins.

Ingredients:
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 cups grated apples
2 cups craisins
1 cup butter (and yes I used the real stuff)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tsp baking soda
3-1/2 cups flour

Directions
1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2.  Combine the water, sugar, apples, raisins, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  I let mine boil for a couple of minutes because the house smelled just like fresh baked apple pie.  Remove from heat and cool completely.
3.  In a large bowl, stir the notes and baking soda into the flour.  Add the cooled mixture to the bowl, and stir until blended.

Fill greased miniature muffin tins with batter to the top. I had to use the same muffin tins a couple of times and ended up only greasing it once but I have good teflon coating.
4.  Bake for 15 minutes.    Makes about 5 dozen mini muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment