Friday, September 30, 2011

Day 206 (9/30): Recipe and new Addiction

I am on the computer all the time - grading, facebook, emails, looking up answers to random questions, learning new technology things that I can add to my classes.  So when someone showed me pinterest.com I fell in love.  It is a virtual bulletin board that you can save all the things you find on the web that you want to keep - kind of like "adding favorites" in your web browser but this can be categorized and show you a picture of what you saved.  It is addictive!

Where else can you find what NOT to knit, yummy cupcake recipes, and a wreath that you really want your sister-in-law to make you for Christmas? 

If you want an invite, please send me an email.  Plus I'd be happy to explain how to use it - but watch out - it is SO addictive!  You can find some amazing things and get sucked into reading other people's blogs.  You can see my boards at pinterest.com/angesullivan

So last night I was hungry for mexican but didn't want the usual tacos.  Here's what I adapted to fit the picky eaters in my life:

Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps.

Ingredients
1-2 cups cooked shredded chicken
2 cups rice  (I used one of those $1 bags of spanish or mexican rice from the grocery store)
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained (can use black beans but my picky ones won't eat those)
Shredded cheese
Spices -ground cumin, chili powder, garlic salt
burrito tortilla shells
cooking spray
Optional: sour cream, cilantro, green onion

Directions
  1. Prepare your rice and chicken if you don't have any leftover chicken.  I found some frozen chicken in my freezer and baked it and then shredded it.
  2. Add the spices to your chicken to taste.  I developed that Doornbos gene in the kitchen where we don't measure and just dump and pour until we get something we like.  The original recipe called for 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin and 1/2 tsp garlic salt.
  3. Warm the rice, beans, seasoned chicken.  
  4. Spread cheese and rice/bean/chicken mixture on a tortilla and roll up.  I added sour cream to mine because I'm not picky and it oozed through the meat/cheese mixture to make it creamy - ooh so good!
  5. Spray outside of rolled tortilla with cooking spray.  Place on a griddle and cook for a couple of minutes until it is brown and crispy on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment