Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 204 (9/19): What my co-workers missed out on...

I had plans to meet with some colleagues to discuss assessment on our day off.  Yes I know not the greatest thing to do on a Friday on your day off so I bribed them with food.  Told them I would bring lunch.  So in the midst of doping myself for my ear infection, Colton's football practice, making muffins to bribe my coworkers to vote for me in the spirit competition, I was making my first pressed sandwich and trying out a new macaroni salad recipe.  It was a crazy night and my kitchen looked like one of those hoarder shows' kitchens with crap all over the countertop after I was done but I was too tired to clean it up.  I came right home the next day and cleaned it up because it was disgusting!

Well during the workshop someone mentioned ordering pizza and everyone raised their hands so I knew I was going to take my sandwich and pasta salad home.  I shared with my neighbor because I couldn't eat the entire thing by myself.  It was pretty tasty but I went a little overboard on the meat.  Mark didn't want to eat it because of the tomatoes so it was up to me to eat this meat masterpiece.

I basically made a sauce of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic cloves, salt and pepper.  I soaked some tomato chunks in it for about 10 minutes. I drizzled the juices on the bread halves  and put the tomatoes on top. I layered the bottom half of the bun with basil leaves and started the layering of meats and cheeses.  I used ham, pepperoni, salami, provolone, and mozzarella which were on sale at Dillons.  I wrapped it tightly and then pressed it with books in my fridge overnight.  My fridge is now well educated with the Mayo medical dictionary.

I also tried out a new pasta recipe.  I tried not to add too much so that Mark and the other picky eaters would eat the leftovers at the tailgate on Saturday but this is a great basic recipe that you can add whatever you have on hand to make it even better.

Macaroni Crackaroni
Ingredients
1 package macaroni elbow noodles
2 cups light mayo
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. white sugar
1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garlic Powder to taste
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 hard boiled eggs, diced

Directions
1.  Cook macaroni according to package directions.
2.  Hard boil eggs while macaroni is cooking.
3. Chop up eggs and celery and add to cooked macaroni.
4.  Mix mayo, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic. 
4.  Pour mayo mixture over noodles and toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment