Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 39 (2/9): To eat or not to eat...

When I got to work this morning there was a plastic bag on the front desk. It looked like someone had left their lunch items on the desk from the day before. I set it over on the next table. A student came up and said.."That is for you. I made it." Well I was giving a test that day and the only thing I could think of was what did this person put in the soup? Did she like me or not? Was she trying to poison me or was there some kind of happy spice that would make me grade their tests without regard to wrong answers. And then the strangeness continued....she said it was her birthday. Shouldn't I be getting her a gift, not her giving one to me? And if it does work the other way around, where are all my gifts? Students tell me all the time that it is their birthday.

Well I waited to eat the soup. It sat in the fridge for 2 days because I was still a little terrified to eat it. I decided to try it. It looked good. The student is from Burma and I knew that it was probably something tradtional for her but I had never had such a dish. It had noodles and chicken and coconut. It was very good and so far there have been no side effects. So thank you my student! You can cook for me anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment