Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 48 (2/18): Students...never cease to surprise me!

It's always a crazy week the last week of class.  Students frantically trying to make up for not doing anything the previous six weeks, the begging for grades that they want to get, or their stark realization that the damage has already been done and it will be impossible to dig themselves out of the hole they are in.  Students nervous about the final, nervous about getting the grade and wondering if they will have to take the course again and me wondering if they will have to take it again. These are all things that I have come to expect the last week of class.  But one thing that I did not expect was my College Algebra course to surprise me with a gift. Oh...wait a minute...was that their feeble attempt to beg for the grade they wanted.  Many of the students in that class I had been torturing, er rather, teaching, for months because they had taken Basic Algebra and then Intermediate before they ventured into College Algebra.  When the students presented the gift with the speech of wanting to thank me for those months of pleasure (ok they didn't phrase it that way..but a girl can wish, right?), I was almost speechless.  I didn't expect it and it finally hit me that I wouldn't be seeing many of them again because it was their last math class.  I was almost sad but very happy for them because they were finished and were moving onto bigger and better things like graduation. 

The bag was filled with all sorts of goodies!  Chocolate galore - YUM!  You can't tell by the picture but the bag of Reese's were already opened the minute they left the room.  I needed it to get ready for the next group of give-me-an-A-hungry students.  And it was fancy chocolate, stuff I don't normally get so it was such a treat.  Oh and Winter, you also gifted me your pen that I stole as I was helping you after class.  Sorry I'm a kleptomaniac when it comes to writing utensils.
Not sure what they were trying to tell me by the Stress Relief body wash...do I smell?  Or do they think they stress me out?  Or do they stress me out so much I do smell?

Thank you my students!  I take back all the negative things I said about you....lol.  On the serious side, I hope you did learn something (especially that invisible graphs don't get graded) and are able to use some of those skills in your next life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment